We think we understand SPF and Broad Spectrum but do we?
SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is the amount of time you can stay in the sun without getting sunburn.
Broad Spectrum SPF that you see on skin care and cosmetics products is only sunscreen that passes the FDA’s (Food and Drug Administration) Broad Spectrum test, which is providing proportional protection against UVA and UVB rays may be labeled as “Broad Spectrum”.
UVA rays can prematurely age the skin: The rays penetrate down through the epidermis to the lower layer called the dermis and This is what causes wrinkles, elasticity and hyperpigmentation (sun spots) to the skin.
UVB rays is the primarily cause of sunburn and contributes to skin cancer. The rays penetrates the upper layer of epidermis and this is the reason for you to need SPF Protection.
There is not much of a difference from SPF 15- 50. This is why Dermatologist recommends wearing SPF 15- 30.
SPF 15 - 93% UVB Rays
SPF 30 - 97% UVB Rays
SPF 50 - 98% UVB Rays
The FDA is limiting SPF claims to 50+ as it can cause other kinds of skin damage thinking you can stay in the sun longer.
Wearing SPF Day Moisturizer + SPF Foundation or Mineral Tint, can equal SPF 50 protection.
- Do not wear products on the skin that contain Retinol, Alpha Hydroxyl Acid ingredients in the sun, as they can cause irritation.
- Avoid mixing Vitamin C products with Retinol and Alpha-Hydroxyl Acid.
Vitamin C - Serum along with the Day Protection Moisturizer is a SPF protection from the UVB rays. So the amount of Broad Spectrum SPF is less in Vitamin C products.
- Cleanse face and body when wearing SPF products before going to bed. Apply a night cream to face according to your skin type.
- Do not combine bug repellent and sunscreen.
- Avoid using sunscreen powders, towelettes and tanning oils.
If you have fair skin apply thicker amount of the SPF creams.
FDA concerns with aerosol spray sunscreens:
- Easy to apply but not an even application, especially for children.
- Serious inhalation risks
Reapplying SPF every 2 hours at the beach is equal to a ½ bottle (8oz) of sun screen.
Cover the body evenly and frequently when swimming or participating in outside activities.
Holly Sallade Skin Care Cosmetics Products
- Customer come first
- Made in USA
- Broad Spectrum SPF-All Day Moisturizers and Cosmetic Products
- Paraben Free
- Fragrance Free
Holly Sallade Skin Care Cosmetics care about you and your skin!